When I consider the boundaries of our new district, these are some of the issues that come to mind. Please let me know about other issues that are important to you.
- I-694 Interchange Reconstruction - The project will continue to offer challenges with lane, ramp, and road closures until its completion in 2013.
- Intersection of Highway 10 and Highway 96 - The needs of local residents and businesses need to be considered both in the design and during construction.
- You can find information from MNDOT about these projects here: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/694expand/ .
- Bicycle & pedestrian access linking the suburbs in the area - Currently there are paths within some local areas, but access between Shoreview, Arden Hills, and Mounds View is poor. This will improve somewhat after the improvements to the interchanges of Highways 10, 96, and 35W are completed.
- Area public transit - We have limited public transit currently. I would like to see a more comprehensive, metro-wide plan for the ongoing development of public transit.
District 42A includes many lakes - Josephine, Johanna, Valentine, Round, Spring, Turtle and Snail - and a stretch of Rice Creek, as well as numerous smaller ponds, creeks, and wetlands. These comprise an important natural resource. They provide recreation and wildlife habitat, and provide added value for the many property owners that line their shores. Any legislation affecting them needs to strike a balance between preservation, access, and property value.